Caldecott Medal

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Dead Dogs


Happy New Year!
I'm getting ready for Spring semester and thinking about my own reading habits. I want to keep better track of the books I read. That's why I started this blog. I think it will be a good way to share our thoughts about books and kids. I also want to do something "profound" with my reading. I just read No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman. It's a fast read - funny and meaningful (football jocks vs. drama "geeks") at the same time.
Eighth-grader Wallace Wallace receives detention when he turns in a negative review of the book, Old Shep, My Pal. Wallace bases his negativity on the fact that dogs in stories die (Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller), and Mr. Fogelman does not appreciate his comments. Detention means he can't play football and must attend play rehearsals, directed by Mr. Fogelman. The play is based on Old Shep. Wallace adds his special touch to the script and rehearsals in this book for middle school students. Of course, it includes a touch of football, romance, and advice from Julia Roberts. I started reading Korman's books last year when I picked up Schooled - another great book.
I also just got back from the movie, Marley and Me, so No More Dead Dogs really was appropriate. Take your tissues!
So back to profound - there's a librarian mentioned several times in the book. Another character, Trudi Davis, "... headed straight to the library. Mrs. McConville was so cool. She always let me be the first to read the new issue of Teen Dazzle magazine, even before it got catalogued into the computer. " (p. 40). Later, p. 109, Trudi suggest the library should switch to Cosmo, but Mrs. McConvilled gets "... all bent out of shape." In another reference, (p. 95) Mr. Fogelman is rattled by his class. so he "... sent them to the library to work on research papers," and he moved to the teachers' lounge to calm his nerves. I think I'll start keeping an eye open for the image of librarians in books for children and young adults.

No comments: